Saturday, August 7, 2010

Venturing Out

Today we slipped off our thinking caps and ventured out of Hamstead-Marshall (a village so small I’ve been on runs during which I’ve encountered people who had not heard of it). Some of us took the train right to Oxford and others when to Avebury first by van.
Oxford is beautiful. We stepped off the train to a sea of bicycles. Good sign. We strolled into the city center, which was far more crowded than I had anticipated. I find crowds simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. The crowds dispersed just a bit outside the center. It was enjoyable to have time to stroll wherever we pleased. I mainly wandered and shopped a bit too. England is much colder than I had thought it would be. Packing in the Maine heat caused me to leave far more sleeves at home than would have been ideal.
The architecture throughout Oxford was quite impressive. The university is woven into the town or perhaps it is the other way around. Highlights of the day were coffee and tea on the grass, a walk down Pembroke Street, and people watching.
I also discovered that, you may need to sit down for this, Maine is internationally fashionable. While in a store in Oxford today, I came across this display saying “MAINE New England” surrounded by plaid and other outdoorsy clothing---I was beside myself. So, to all you plaid wearers, Londoners are emulating you. I also encountered a dress that had the print of deer heads mounted on a wall. Maine doesn’t feel so far away after all.
Right now we are listening and dancing to Roger sing and strum on his guitar. Jake has just joined him on the ukulele. Simon and Garfunkel sounds excellent in a Welsh accent. This is a terrific conclusion to a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment